Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Database access problem : SOS
Date
List pgsql-general
mjoseph@inautix.com wrote:
<snip>
> The versions I use:
> cygipc-1.13-2
> postgresql-7.3.1-1
> cygwin-1.3.19-1

Yep, they're all "known good" versions, and what I've been using here.

Out of curiosity, have you asked the guys on the PostgreSQL "cygwin"
mailing list, as this is pretty much exactly their area of speciality?

One important question, with WinNT, are you definitely running it with
Service Pack 6a, and it's definitely stable for other packages?

For most installations with Windows, the cygwin version works ok, but
for you it's obviously not.  Am wondering if it's possible you've got
some kind of problem with windows not having been updated enough, or
maybe something is installed that overwrote an important dll?

> Can someone help?
>
> I have been having a hard time installing PostgreSQL on Windows NT. I tried
> a Native port, the official Windows version (on top of cygwin) and the one
> that comes with cygwin. Something or the other is broken in each release. I
> am yet to do a successful query till now.
>
> I guess it works better on Unix, considering its popularity.

Yep, it works *really* well on Unix.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift