Re: x86-64 and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: x86-64 and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 18 Jan 2003 at 11:39, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:29:25PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Will there be any advantages to running Pg on a 64-bit CPU rather
> > than 32-bit?
>
> In my experience, not really.  We use SPARCs under Solaris 7 and,
> now, 8.  We haven't found any terribly obvious advantages with the
> system compiled as a 64 bit app, but we _did_ find problems with the
> 64 bit libraries combined with gcc.  As a result of that and
> pressures to get working on some other things, we stopped testing
> Postgres as a 64 bit app on Solaris.  We haven't done any work on
> Solaris 8 with it, and that system is a little more mature in the
> 64-bit-support department, so when I have a chance do to more
> investigation, I will.

I remember reading in one of the HP guides regarding 64 bit that 64 bit is a
tool provided for applications. In general no app. should be 64 bit unless
required. In fact they advice that fastest performance one can get is by
running 32 bit app. on 64 bit machine because registers are wide and can be
filled in is less number of fetches.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Tip of the Day:    Never fry bacon in the nude.    [Correction: always fry bacon in
the nude; you'll learn not to burn it]