Re: join over 12 tables takes 3 secs to plan - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Charles H. Woloszynski
Subject Re: join over 12 tables takes 3 secs to plan
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> We are in fact an Oracle shop, but the application I tried to get
> running (http://trackplus.sourceforge.net/) I wanted to run on an OSS
> RDBMS so that I could easily move it onto my laptop etc (BTW
> apparently it was primarily developed on InterBase/Firebird). Anyway,
> I was able to cut the planning time for those queries in half by
> setting geqo_pool_size to 512. However, now it gets stuck for an
> excessive amount of time after the issue update page and I have no
> idea what's going on, and I'm not in the mood to track it down. So
> finally I'm giving up and I'm rolling it out on MySQL on which it is
> working fine, even though I don't like MySQL to say the least.
>
>     -hilmar

Uhoh, did I just hear a gauntlet thrown down ... works well on MySQL but
not on PostgreSQL.  If I can find the time, perhaps I can take a look at
the specific query(ies) and see what is missed in PostgreSQL that MySQL
has gotten right.

If only there were 48 hours in a day :-).

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.