Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Date
List pgsql-general
Larry Rosenman wrote:

 > The issue isn't whether the app is broken or not, (it is), but the fact
 > that we
 > ****CHANGED**** behavior with ****NO**** notice and no way to keep the
 > app working on
 > the current release without MAJOR changes to the app.  (some apps just
 > have it so ingrained
 > in them).
 >
 > We ***SHOULD*** have noticed the user community, and had a transition
plan.

 > This should be a lesson to us to be more sensitive to applications out
 > there, and
 > give NOTICE about compatibility issues.

Isn't that what beta is for? - For app developers to test their apps
against the new version to discover problems/issues before the
production release.  If this had been brought up during the beta period
there may well have been a different outcome.

In general it is difficult to determine whether any particular change
will impact app developers.  And this problem isn't unique to postgres.
  I can't remember a major Oracle upgrade that hasn't broken my
applications in some way.  The difference with Oracle is that I don't
find out until the new release is production, whereas with postgres I
ensure that I am testing with all the betas and getting any issues
resolved before it goes production.

--Barry