Re: postgresql documentation iimprovements - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Scott Lamb
Subject Re: postgresql documentation iimprovements
Date
Re: postgresql documentation iimprovements
List pgsql-advocacy
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>2. IMHO, The documentation for create rule is not clear and detailed
>>enough.  PHPfreaks.com has a very nice tutorial about this command and
>>how it could be used in a production database.  It is very important for
>>usage of this command to be clear, because only postgres has it, and
>
> FWIW Oracle and other databases have rules.

This didn't sound right, so I just checked. The Oracle docs do not
mention "create rule". Google says Microsoft Transact SQL has a "create
rule", but it's not at all the same: a really, really old syntax for
check constraints or something. Only still there for backwards
compatibility.

I think Oracle's triggers just encompass everything PostgreSQL's rules
do, but I've never dug into the docs enough to really understand the
trigger/rule distinction. And it's late and I'm tired, so
<http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?rules-triggers.html> doesn't
make sense to me.

Scott