Re: Elocution - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: Elocution
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> I like the cost-saving angle: while you're dumping your old OS for
> Linux, why not dump your old DB for Postgres? Name recognition
> and myth-busting needs to happen first and foremost.

    Hm, I started thinking about myth-busting and positioning in general,
and have some less happy thoughts, based on the linux analogy.

    Interestingly, even though Linux is free, the adoption pattern seems
to match Geoffry Moore's "Crossing the Chasm" paradigm very well.
Starting with a beachhead in the web server niche (compelling story: low
cost and high reliability; pitch: it is Solaris without the pricetag;
target market: startup ASPs) and now spreading out into other areas.

    The bad news is, MySQL is already firmly ensconsed in the parallel
niche for web databases, and is starting to spooge outwards from that niche.

    So, if we wanted to pick a niche for PostgreSQL, where would it be?
What is the elevator pitch? In Moore's formulation, how are the blanks
filled in?

"For (target customers -- niche segment)
   Who are dissatisfied with (the current market alternative)
   Our product is a (new product category)
   That provides (key problem solving ability)
   Unlike (the product alternative)
   We have assembled (key whole product features for your
      niche application)"

--
        __
       /