Re: 7.4 Wishlist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: 7.4 Wishlist
Date
Re: 7.4 Wishlist  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
What I'd like to have in future versions of PostgreSQL:
   - replication, replication, ... (you have seen that before). i guess
most people would like to see that.
   - a dblink like system for connecting to remote database systems
(not just PostgreSQL???)       something like CREATE REMOTE VIEW would be damn good.       it would solve many problem
whenit comes to migration

   - tablespaces (the directory based stuff which has been discussed on
the list)
   - somebody has mentioned XML before. the XPath stuff would be really
cool
   - PL/Sh should be in contrib. i know that the core team has decided
not to put it in the core but contrib would be fine (I keep forgetting
the URL of Peters website :( ...)
   - packages: is there a way to define a set of functions as a package
so that they can be removed using just one DROP PACKAGE or so? would be
nice for huge projects
   - urgent: being able to use PL/Perl in combination with SPI (There
is a Pg-SPI but it is 0.01 - see
http://search.cpan.org/author/APILOS/DBD-PgSPI-0.01/PgSPI.pm). a full
and reliable implementation would be fine.
   - preforking for faster startup
   - declare MySQL as evil *g*.

       Thanks a lot :)
           Hans