Character set encodings in PG 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Character set encodings in PG 7.3
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi everyone,

Was just looking at the listing on the development docs page for the
number of different multi-byte character set encodings that 7.3 supports
out-of-the-box.  It shows 28 different encodings:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/multibyte.html#AEN21737

However, some of them are specific to one language (i.e. EUC_JP ->
Japanese EUC), whereas some cater to many languages (i.e. the LATIN
encodings).

Is there a good way we can include something in the 7.3 Press Release
that reflects the ability of 7.3 to store data in these languages.

Was thinking perhaps something like:

 - Supports data in many international characters sets (UNICODE, EUC_JP,
EUC_CN, EUC_KR, JOHAB, EUC_TW, ISO 8859-1 ECMA-94, KOI8, WIN1256, etc...

Am hoping to have something that will catch the attention of people that
do stuff with non-English speaking countries.  It's a large and growing
um... market and it's probably a good move to try and catch their
attention (further).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift