Re: postgres on a FreeBSD 4.5 box - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Guest
Subject Re: postgres on a FreeBSD 4.5 box
Date
List pgsql-general
Doug McNaught wrote:

>Ken Guest <kguest@stockbyte.com> writes:
>

>>Gregory Wood wrote:
>>
>>No such beast as /var/log/pgsql.
>>I did get this in a logfile though:
>>"
>>postmaster does not find the database system.
>>        Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data",
>>        but unable to open file
>>"/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/pg_control": Permission denied
>>"
>>
>>Here's an ls -l
>>su-2.05a# ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/pg_control
>>-rw-------  1 pgsql  pgsql  8192 Nov  1 14:33
>>/usr/local/pgsql/data/global/pg_control
>>su-2.05a#
>>

>Is /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/pg_control readable by user 'pgsql'?
>Does the startup script 'su' to that user before calling 'pg_ctl'?
>
>It's possible that pg_control has the right permissions (looks OK from
>the above) but one of the directories above it is locked down.

As an aside to this I've recompiled the kernel with a few flags tweaked
 (NMBCLUSTERS) so,
being thorough (unnecessarily?) I'm recompiling postgresql on the off
chance that it needs to
pick up on the changes.
Then I'm going to do a reinstall and edit the startup script. I'll let
you know how I progress.

thanks

Ken