Re: base backup and tar problems with disappearing files. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: base backup and tar problems with disappearing files.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 15 Mar 2011, at 3:06, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> While taking online basebackup we ignore tar exit codes of 1 .
> However under certain circumstances tar exits we code '2' which
> stands for 'Fatal Errors' . Eg in case of  "Cannot stat: No such file or directory"
> encountered while taking backup of the pgdatadir . My question is
> can we ignore such errors of "vanishing files" ? is it normal ?
> I think the situation is arising because some table which were created
> before start of backup were dropped during the backup. But that is
> quite normal also.

You should probably exclude the PG data directories from your file-system backups, there isn't much point in backing
themup anyway.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4d7f0b68235882060612259!