Re: Physical sites handling large data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Physical sites handling large data
Date
List pgsql-general
On 16 Sep 2002 at 17:01, Ericson Smith wrote:

> ... that sound you hear is the sound of me knocking my head against the
> brick wall in here...
>
> Well it looks like Tom Lane was right (as always) on this one. On our
> previous server, we had 4 Gigs of RAM and 1.6 Gigs of shared memory.
> Does this mean now that the OS is efficiently caching disk, and they our
> 320MB of shared memory is good enough?

Looks like you are asking but if you ask me you just proved that it's enough..

> Our database is about 4 Gigs at this point with some tables having
> hundreds of thousands or millions of records.
> Any definitive insight here as to why I'm running so well at this point?

I would suggest looking at pg metadata regarding memory usage as well as ipcs
stats. Besides what are the kernle disk buffer setting. I believe you are using
linux and these buffer settings can be controlled via/for bdflush.

Your typical ipcs usage would be a much valuable figure along with free..

And BTW, what's your vacuum frequency? Just to count that in..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Worst Vegetable of the Year:    The brussels sprout.  This is also the worst
vegetable of next year.        -- Steve Rubenstein