Re: pg_settings doc patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: pg_settings doc patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> pg_settings is not a system catalog, so I don't think it belongs in the
> system catalogs chapter.  In fact it doesn't belong anywhere in the
> Developer's Guide, since it's a user-oriented view.
>
> I'm not sure where it *does* belong though :-(.  Right at the moment we
> have no documentation of any of the predefined system views, except for
> the ones that fit into the "monitoring" chapter of the Admin Guide.
>
> I think maybe we ought to make a new chapter for system views ... but
> where to put it?  User's Guide maybe?

What about putting pg_settings documentation at the bottom of:
   ->Administrators Guide
     ->Server run-time environment
       ->run-time configuration
just before the Planner and optimizer tuning subsection?

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/runtime-config.html

I think at some point there should be a consolidated section on system
views, but since they are scattered at the moment, this seems like the
most logical choice to me. Comments?

Joe