From Justin Clift
Subject Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory 0x0003: Buffer overflow in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Justin Clift wrote:
> > Only two things which have the potential to be worth waiting for, from
> > what I'm aware of.  There may be others:
> >
> >  - Find out from Sir Mordred if he wants to take a look at the CVS
> >    version of code and audit in that for a bit, Just In Case he turns
> >    up something that's serious and requires substantial re-work.
> >    Although it means he wouldn't have a bunch of "I found this existing
> >    exploit" type releases, we could instead offer him credit on the
> >    press release along the lines of "This released has been audited for
> >    security flaws in its code by Sir Mordred".  Am pretty sure he'd
> >    do a very thorough job for that, as it means he'd have an official
> >    "product reputation" he'd need to stand by for it.
>
> This is interesting.  He would have a month to do it.

Reckon it's worth asking him, to find out if he'd be interested in this?
> >  - Patches to the CVS tree which let us have a truly native windows
> >    version.  This is of huge significance and would *very* much improve
> >    our growth and adoption by being in this release in comparison to
> >    being in the release afterwards.  Not in an airy fairy way, but
> >    quite definitely and solidly.
> >
> > Of the two, Sir Mordred may or may not be willing, so that's kind of
> > iffy, whereas the Windows Native port which is in beta testing isn't
> > in too bad a state at all already.  Have been running preliminary
> > multi-user AS3AP tests on it (with OSDB) and getting a significant
> > performance throughput increase in comparison to the cygwin version.
>
> OK, now I have to ask, where did this native Windows version come from?
> I don't know anything about it, except that Jan and SRA are both working
> on versions.

It was kind of quietly let slip out:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-08/msg00012.php

But, it's definitely up and running and functional and pretty decent.

:-)

> The other issue is PITR, which I have been told today will not be ready
> for a September 1 beta but may be ready for an October 1 beta.

Useful, but not sure it's worth delaying even *further* for.

+ Justin

> --

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi