Re: NetBSD Live CD/PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tina Messmann
Subject Re: NetBSD Live CD/PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ian Harding wrote:
> A really cool CD image is available for NetBSD which boots and runs NetBSD/KDE/KOffice/Samba without using a hard
drive.

> I am not smart enough to know exactly how it works, but it must be creating some kind of magic hard drive in memory.
>
> I know similar questions have been asked before, but I think they implied using the on-disk operating system.  The
questionis, is it theoretically possible, given enough system resources, to create such a thing with just the OS and a
PostgreSQLserver installation to use for demonstrating the capabilities of PG to someone who does not want to install
it?

> ftp://smaug.fh-regensburg.de/pub/NetBSD/life-cd/

check out Knoppix, this is i Linux Live CD based on Debian.
ISO images can be downloaded at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

It does not contain postgresql but it is possible to change the contents
of the cd. i didn't do it myself but i have a description how to
'remaster' the knoppix cd. If you don't find out how to do it on the web
page, i can mail you the description - it is in german, so i have first
to translate it :)

Tina