Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > I think the first two targets for C-ification would be pg_dumpall and
> > > initdb.  The others have SQL equivalents.  Maybe pg_ctl too.
> >
> > I think eventually pg_ctl should be folded into the postmaster executable.
> > This would remove a great amount of possible misunderstandings between the
> > two programs.
>
> And pg_ctl will be run with a symlink to postmaster like postgres,
> right?  Makes sense.

No symlink. Windows doesn't have symlinks, the "link" stuff you
see is just some file with a special meaning for the Windows
explorer. There is absolutely no support built into the OS. They
really haven't learned alot since the DOS times, when they added
"." and ".." entries to directories to "look" similar to UNIX.
Actually, they never really understood what a hardlink is in the
first place, so why do you expect them to know how to implement
symbolic ones?

It will be at least another copy of the postmaster (dot exe).

Jan

# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being
right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive
me.                                  #
JanWieck@Yahoo.com #