Re: Xeon, P4 or Athlon MP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jochem van Dieten
Subject Re: Xeon, P4 or Athlon MP
Date
List pgsql-general
Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry if we had this already.
>
> Supposed I wanted to setup a real big postgresql-server for some heavy big
> webpage running under linux, what would be the best choice regarding
> price/performance?
>
> (Basic system with raid and 10k-scsi drives presumed)
>
> quadro Xeon 700 Mhz (1024 kb cache), 4 GB ECC Ram
>
> or
>
> dual Athlon MP fastest possible (1800+), 2-4 GB DDR-Ram
>
> or
>
> single P4 2.53+, 2-4 GB Rambus / DDR-Ram

Steve Wolfe has posted benchmarks comparing some dual Athlon with some
quadro Xeon. It is somewhere in the archives of pgsql-general (use
http://archives.postgresql.org/), but the short version is that the dual
Athlon performed way better for *his* situation.

Jochem