Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL and Windows2000 and defunct processes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steven Vajdic
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL and Windows2000 and defunct processes
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Michael/Yutaka,

Thanks for your reply.

I discovered the cause of the problem (I think) - I just do not know why
it happens.

PROBLEM (again): DEFUNCT processes under Win2K not seen under Win98.

I am running cygwin-2.125.2.10 (postgresql 7.1) and cigipc-1.11-1
installed in Jan 2002.

Prior to that I struggled with prior cygwin version - no proper
postgresql run at all.

In April/May I tried then new version of cygwin (postgresql 7.2) and
cigipc BUT
cygwin environment was very poor and without some essential unix
commands
and I gave up.

I can try again with now latest versions if that will help (!!!???).

The problem is in closing pgSQL database. Somehow the process does not
finish.
Under Win98 cygwin does not show (ps -ef) defunct processes BUT if you
run a program which
opens/closes pgSQL 2 times in succession the second time the connection
will be refused - like it
was not properly closed the first time!!!???

Under Win2K (same version og cygwin/cigipc) this does not happen BUT a
defunct process remains
and accumulates/multiplies after each run

I'll try with Michael's suggestion RE: threads and process closure but I
do not think I'll discover
anything new - the "postgresql" process does not finish for some reason
- the question is why:
bad cygwin/cigipc, or bad postgresql.conf
parameters or bad postmaster/postgresql run or .. .

Please, do not ask why I run under Win2K/Win98 - I normally run my
HTML/PHP/pgSQL
application under linux (redhat, mandrake, SuSe) and it works fine BUT
Win is a much more used
OS and one has to take that into account.

More advice/help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steven.

Steven Vajdic (BSc/Hon, MSc)
Senior Software Engineer
Motorola Australia Software Centre (MASC)
2 Second Avenue, Technology Park
Adelaide, South Australia  5095
email:  Steven.Vajdic@motorola.com
email:  svajdic@asc.corp.mot.com
Ph.:  +61-8-8168-3543
Fax:    +61-8-8168-3501
Front Office (Ph): +61-8-8168-3500

mobile: +61 (0)419 860 903
AFTER WORK email:  steven_vajdic@ivillage.com
Home address: 6 Allawah Av., Glen Osmond SA 5064, Australia