Re: PostgreSQL mission statement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Now, I do not wish to have a manifesto, but a short and sweet "this is who we
> are, and this is what we do" could be a positive thing.

"PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database available
anywhere"

has appeared in the docs for quite some time, and has appeared in other
mention of PostgreSQL (release announcements etc).

A short and sweet mission statement could describe what we do to make
this true, and what we must continue to do to stay on top. Or we could
leave it general; for example, "most advanced" could mean wrt standards
compliance, or wrt leading edge features, or wrt performance, or ?? Let
us decide what those specifics are as we go along...

"PostgreSQL is and will be the most advanced open-source database
available anywhere."

No different in substance from what we've said all along. Leave out the
specifics, because the next generations of developers will have specific
directions to go :)
                  - Thomas