Re: What is the difference between --enable-multibyte and - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Weiping He
Subject Re: What is the difference between --enable-multibyte and
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Lu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My database is configured with --enable-multibyte.  I thought this is
> what I needed to be able to store Chinese Characters.  Is this a correct
> assumption?  Anyhow, when I tried to write to the database with Chinese
> content, the content becomes jibberish.  Do I need to enable unicode
> conversion?  If that's the case, can I just run configure with
> --enable-unicode-conversion on my current database without any side
> effect on my data?
>
> Thanks
> -Jeff

when > 7.2 the --enalbe-unicode-conversion is auto enabled
when specifing --enable-multibyte.
for pre 7.2, only when you want to store data in database using unicode,
do you need to --enable-unicode-conversion, if not, for example, you are
using EUC_TW or other encoding (but not unicode), I think you don't need
to enable it. but to my expreience, enable unicode is better (which is the
default case when > 7.2). because you can use unicode autoconversion
facility to extend your client encoding (such as GBK etc.)
I think the only side effect to your application is speed.

    regards    laser