Re: Domains and type coercion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fernando Nasser
Subject Re: Domains and type coercion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> (...) or put a special case into the operator selection rules to reduce
> domains to their basetypes before making the "exact match" test.

By definition,

which  I believe should be read as

"A domain is a set of permissible values (of a data type)".

What I am trying to say is that the domain is still the same data type
w.r.t. operator and functions so reducing it to the basic type for
such searchs is the right thing to do.

> Neither of these seem real appealing, but if we don't do something
> I think that domains are going to be a big pain in the neck to use.

Agreed.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com