Re: REVIEW proposal: a validator for configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexey Klyukin
Subject Re: REVIEW proposal: a validator for configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sep 12, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On ons, 2011-09-07 at 10:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> There has however
>> been some debate about the exact extent of ignoring bad values during
>> reload --- currently the theory is "ignore the whole file if anything is
>> wrong", but there's some support for applying all non-bad values as long
>> as the overall file syntax is okay.
>
> That could be a problem if you have some values that depend on each
> other, and then you change both of them, but because of an error only
> one gets applied.  I think ACID(-like) changes is a feature, also on
> this level.

I think exactly this argument has already been discussed earlier in this thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/21310D95-EB8D-4B15-A8BC-0F05505C6A34@phlo.org

--
Alexey Klyukin        http://www.commandprompt.com
The PostgreSQL Company – Command Prompt, Inc.