Re: PHP Abstraction layers - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Manuel Lemos
Subject Re: PHP Abstraction layers
Date
List pgsql-php
Hello,

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > A new release of Metabase was made just yesterday. It provides some
> > features that users were requesting like the ability to customize error
> > handling. It also provides yet another innovating features, which is the
> > SQL REPLACE implementation. This is a statement like SQL INSERT except
> > that if the values of the primary keys match the ones of an existing
> > row, it will update that row instead of inserting a new one. AFAIK, only
> > MySQL provides SQL REPLACE command, but Metabase provides a suitable
> > emulation that works the same way using transactions so it works also
> > with PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS-SQL server, Informix, Interbase, etc..
>
> *cough* Callling it 'SQL REPLACE' is a bit of a misnomer.  It is not
> specified anywhere in the SQL standard. (Like lots of MySQL stuff)

Still it is a good thing (tm). SQL standard is also a bit misnomer
because every database vendor ships its own extensions and its own
non-standard compliant quirks. My favourite is that Oracle stores empty
strings in VARCHAR fields as NULLs. :-)

Regards,
Manuel Lemos