Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> > I think any attempt to say you dislike GPL for any reason invites
> > debate. Forget it, just say for historical reasons and with respect for
> > all the people that made PostgreSQL what it is today, the license will
> > remain as it always has.
>
> This gets to the crux of why I chose the wording I did.  If we fall back
> to "Oh, it has always been that way", we are basically saying BSD is an
> old license and if we could do it over again today, we would chose GPL,
> which I don't think is true, or at least not certain.
>
> We need something that:
>
>         1) quells debate

Yes, this is important.

>         2) shows are are proud of the BSD license we have
Ok, that's good, I personally see strengths in both licenses.

>         3) encourages BSD license usage

And here it is! As hidden as this is, it is the problem. I do not think
you have unanimous agreement, else these arguments would not keep coming
up. As long as you are "promoting" BSD you will invite vigorous debate
with the GPL camp. For the sake of the peace and respect for the GPL
camp, I think the politics and religion of license should be relegated
to personal opinion.