Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ben Adida wrote:

> I also support the idea of putting together an FAQ that is as simple and
> straight-forward as possible, so that no time is wasted on license flaming.
> If the final note could simply say that you've chosen the BSD license
> without bashing the GPL, we, GPL fans, would greatly appreciate it.

Why not just say that PG was originally developed at Berkeley, and
released by them under the BSD licence?  You could simply point out that
PG has flourished as a project releasing code under that license, it
ain't broke, and there ain't anything to fix.

In other words, stay neutral on the "which is best" issue and point out
the simple historical truth.

> Can't we all just get along?

Ask the Palestinians and Israelis.  Or the Serbs and Bosnians.  Or Microsoft

and the rest of the software industry.

The whole BSD/GPL issue's pretty trite, when you think about it.

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR