Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Jun 4, 2018, at 6:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> On 06/04/2018 01:46 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> ... The reason for this is an unfortunate situation that took place in
>>> the FreeBSD community awhile back [1], wherein one community member was
>>> abusing another via Twitter, and their existing CoC failed to cover that
>>> because it had been explicitly written to cover only community-run forums.
>>> So we're trying to learn from that mistake, and make sure that if such a
>>> situation ever came up here, the CoC committee would have authority to
>>> act.
>
>> O.k. I can see that. The problem I am trying to prevent is contributor X
>> being disciplined for behavior that has nothing to do with
>> PostgreSQL.Org. I am not sure what the exact good solution is for that
>> but it is none of our business if contributor X gets into a fight
>> (online or not) with anyone who is not within the PostgreSQL.Org community.
>
> Fair.  As written, I think that would only fall under the CoC if somebody
> made an argument that it was bringing disrepute to the PG community.
> The extent to which that would hold up would depend a lot on details,
> like who was involved.  Peripheral community members would probably not
> be considered to be representing the community ... at the other extreme,
> members of the core team had better keep our noses clean at all times.
> That's the price of community leadership.

+1.

I would add that if you choose to contribute to PostgreSQL and make
representations that you contribute to PostgreSQL, then you are acting
as an ambassador of the community in various forums, and as such should
be mindful of how you treat people, regardless of your level of contribution.

I would also say I’m less concerned about people fighting (disputes happen
all the time amongst the best of friends) vs. someone targeting and/or harassing
people inappropriately, which is very different.  And to reiterate, according to the
CoC, should someone file a report, it is reviewed by a committee of people
who will do their best to determine whether or not the behavior was inappropriate
and/or brings disrepute to the PG community.

Jonathan