Updates for 7.2 INSTALL file - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Justin Clift
Subject Updates for 7.2 INSTALL file
Date
Re: Updates for 7.2 INSTALL file  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-docs
Hi all,

With the INSTALL file, do we change the references from 7.1 to 7.2 now
or wait until later?  (Not counting the "Supported Platforms" bit)

Found three instances where 7.1 should be 7.2, not sure about the one
which mentions that pg_dumpall of 7.1 shouldn't be used on older
versions of the database.

Have generated a diff in case that's the easiest way for the change to
be applied.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

     - Indira Gandhi*** INSTALL.old    Tue Oct  2 00:17:30 2001
--- INSTALL    Tue Oct  2 00:18:52 2001
***************
*** 76,82 ****

  The internal data storage format changes with new releases of PostgreSQL.
  Therefore, if you are upgrading an existing installation that does not have
! a version number "7.1.x", you must back up and restore your data as shown
  here. These instructions assume that your existing installation is under the
  /usr/local/pgsql directory, and that the data area is in
  /usr/local/pgsql/data. Substitute your paths appropriately.
--- 76,82 ----

  The internal data storage format changes with new releases of PostgreSQL.
  Therefore, if you are upgrading an existing installation that does not have
! a version number "7.2.x", you must back up and restore your data as shown
  here. These instructions assume that your existing installation is under the
  /usr/local/pgsql directory, and that the data area is in
  /usr/local/pgsql/data. Substitute your paths appropriately.
*** 125,131 ****

       mv /usr/local/pgsql /usr/local/pgsql.old

! After you have installed PostgreSQL 7.1, create a new database directory and
  start the new server. Remember that you must execute these commands while
  logged in to the special database user account (which you already have if
  you are upgrading).
--- 125,131 ----

       mv /usr/local/pgsql /usr/local/pgsql.old

! After you have installed PostgreSQL 7.2, create a new database directory and