Re: Link to bug webpage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Ford
Subject Re: Link to bug webpage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Given a threaded index, you aren't wading through "a few hundred posts".
>Agreed, a nice canned database entry might be easier to look at, but
>who's going to expend the time to maintain the database?  Unless someone
>actively takes responsibility for keeping the DB up to date, it'll be
>junk.  So far I heard Philip say he'd be willing to check over some
>fraction of the existing entries, but I don't hear anyone wanting to
>take it on as a long-term commitment.

I've often had a hard time searching for results in email archives
because the datum used for indexing changes.  Different people change
the subject line etc.  You can't index by date a fair bit of the time
because there will be lapses in the discussion.

One of the better things about using a bugzilla [e.g.] is that it
becomes a community responsibility, not a single person or small group.
Anyone can now update the 'TODO' list.

-d