Installing PG as a regular user? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Carlos Moreno
Subject Installing PG as a regular user?
Date
Re: Installing PG as a regular user?  (Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy@wellsgaming.com>)
List pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this question, but
I tried .general, and the post was stalled and I think it
never made it to the newsgroup.

I'm wondering if it is possible to install the postgres server
being a regular user (i.e., on a machine for which I don't have
root access)

My first instinct would be to think that it is impossible;  but
my web hoster (who does not offer PostgreSQL), told me that if
I could install it on my account and make it run without using
too much of CPU time, then I could feel free to do it.

So, the very fact that they suggest that got me thinking...

Is it possible?  If so, are there any documents that describe
how to do it, or that give me hints and warnings about the
potential problems?

Thanks!

Carlos