Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions
Date
List pgsql-patches
OK, on the licencing issue, we have decided to keep the PostGIS
extension as GPL. We think it is important that at least one part of the
open source GIS community be GPL. And it doesn't hurt that Dave and I
are both Communists. <wink> :) We don't mind living in contrib, and
since we are going to have different release cycles would probably find
it easier to move our development along as an extension than as an
integral part of the distribution.

On the size side, I'll go through and blow away all the redundancies
which Tom listed and any more I can find for the package to go under
contrib. Then I'll post a new tarball for consideration.

Thanks guys,
Paul

Tom Lane wrote:

> > The package is 760k.  I know GIS is a major feature, but that size had
> > me concerned.
>
> Well, 18k of that is the GPL COPYING file ;-)
>
> Seriously, the size doesn't bother me too much.  Possibly some space could
> be shaved by decreasing the size of the regression test data.  And maybe
> we don't need to include both XML and HTML versions of the docs.  And we
> definitely don't need an executable file for examples/wkb_reader/readwkb;
> perhaps there are some other files that don't belong in a source
> distribution?
>
> But it's under 200K compressed as-is, and given the amount of
> functionality added that seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.  The existing
> geometric datatypes in PG are really only proof-of-concept, academic-toy
> quality.  This looks like the beginning of a considerably superior
> replacement.

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey