Upgrading binary RPMs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paulo Jan
Subject Upgrading binary RPMs
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all:

    I have here a server with Postgres 7.0.2, installed using the binary
RPMs. I needed today to install the ODBC drivers in it, but when I tried
to download them, I found out that the RPM was from a newer version than
the ones I have installed (the current RPMs for 7.0.2 are
postgresql-*-7.0.2-21.i386.rpm, while the ones I have are
postgresql-*-7.0.2-2.i386.rpm). Given this, can I just install the ODBC
RPM and expect it to work? Or should I upgrade all my Postgres
installation via "rpm -F"?
    (Common sense tells me that it should be okay to just install the ODBC
package, but you never know whether there can be some weird
inconsistency, different binaries... whatever).

                        Paulo Jan.
                        DDnet.