Re: 2 gig file size limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk
Subject Re: 2 gig file size limit
Date
List pgsql-general
Ian Willis wrote:

> Postgresql transparently breaks the db into 1G chunks.

Yes, but presumably these are still in the directory tree that was
created by initdb, i.e. normally on a single filesystem.

> The main concern is during dumps. A 10G db can't be dumped if the
> filesustem has a 2G limit.

Which is why somebody suggested piping into tar or whatever.

> Linus no longer has a filesystem file size limit ( or at least on
> that you'll hit easily)

I'm not concerned with "easily". Telling one of our customers that we
chose a particular server becuase they won't easily hit limits is a
non-starter.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]