Re: A small question about Red Hat - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Subject Re: A small question about Red Hat
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

> Red Hat is Open Source and is freely downloadable, right?  But, if I
> have acquired a CD from some source, other than Red Hat, can I install
> on unlimited Computers?  Secondly, what if he had purchased the CD,
> would a copy of it be illegal?

From my limited understanding, I believe that when you purchase a redhat
CD, your actually purchasing support from Redhat e-mail and phone
support for a certain duration, if you'd like to extend your contract
with them, I further believe that you may come to terms with them...

You are allowed to install their software to as many computers as you
wish...  You don't even have to buy a cd, you can simply burn a copy
from your friend or download the ISO from sites around the world and
install to your hearts content.

But I'm not from Redhat so my Opinions about them may be
wrong...somewhat... maybe...;-)

> Also, is it easy to learn FreeBSD for someone like me who knows just
> VB and not even NT completely.  Is FreeBSD graphical also?

FreeBSD has a graphical interface...  Actually Linux and FreeBSD share
the graphical interface, tools, commands, etc...  They just differ in
the manner they are developed, maintained, and copied..  How? (Not to
start any religious wars or anything)  But currently FreeBSD is under
the BSD License while Linux is under the GPL License...

They're both open source, but if I were say a _VERY_ _VERY_ large
company who would like to "extend" it's services and incorporate code
that has been written, into a proprietary software that I'd like to make
a profit on, I'd choose the BSD license...;-)

But I ain't no lawyer either so I could be wrong...;-)

Cheers,

John Clark

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer II                       ( \