Re: OID Wrap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: OID Wrap
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > You guys said you've never seen it.
> > You said you wanted to know if anyone has ever run into it!
> >
> > Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
> >
> > Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
> >        \h for help with SQL commands
> >        \? for help on internal slash commands
> >        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
> >        \q to quit
>
> Very interesting.  Also, it points out that we don't have OID as
> unsigned in all places.  Are you running 7.1.X?

This system is currently 7.0.3, but we are working at moving it to 7.1.x
very soon.

The issue is that we backup the database, run update scripts. If the update
scripts fail, we drop the database and reload from backup (It is a very
interdependent amalgam of several vendor's databases). The database is well
over 50 million records and almost a hundred indexes, and we have been doing
this for a while. I have had it in the back of my mind that I should keep an
eye on this, but it bit me before I really focused. It isn't a big deal for
us, we just have to run initdb once in a while. lol.

But I thought you guys would like to know that it did happen!