RE: full text indexing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Barnes
Subject RE: full text indexing
Date
List pgsql-general
There was an article in the Nov '95 Dr. Dobb's Journal about a Canadian phone
company that did a full text index on a gazillion phone records and retrieved
them quickly enough to run an inquiry operation.
It was an interesting departure in building indices in that it created a
directory for a text instance, such as a phone number, word, street number,
etc, then attached the record number/s where found.
Couldn't retrieve the article (it's on a $99 CD) but found the program
listings and have attached the file.  I've never used it the idea was
intriguing and thought I would someday put it to use.

Good Luck
Bill

>===== Original Message From "Poul L. Christiansen" <poulc@cs.auc.dk> =====
>Hi
>
>In my PostgreSQL database I have a lot of newspaper articles (size:
>100mb now, growing beyond 1gb within few months).
>I wan't to use full text indexing so that users can search the articles
>with a keyword and have the results in less than one second.
>
>How do I accomplish that?
>
>Does PostgreSQL have this feature?
>
>Which 3rd party indexing tools are available that easily interoperate
>with PostgreSQL?
>
>Thanks,
>Poul L. Christiansen
>Dynamic Paper