Re: Re: 7.2 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Re: 7.2 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Franck Martin wrote:

> I think OID should be truly unique in the world as to make it easier for
> replication. If OID are real unique number (not in a table, not in a
> database, but in the world) then replication can be easily built with
> OIDs...

Exactly! That is what the Mariposa project did - they made OIDs uniqe
and
consisting of 32bit site id + 32bit local OID. I guess this could be
split
some other way too, like 20 bit site id + 44bit local or any other.

IMHO the best would be a scheme of 32bit site id + 32bit local, but each
site can get additional site ids from some central (for a supersite)
table
when it sees that it is near runnig out of oids.

Hannu