Re: ER diagrams - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: ER diagrams
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Karl.

Maybe Visio 2001 or Visio 2002 will work (or whatever they're called in
the future).  We'll include it when its useful.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> martin.chantler@convergys.com wrote:
> >
> > Visio 2000 comes with a set of drivers which includes an ODBC driver
> > I haven't tried Visio with Postgres but hopefully it would work, it did
> > manage to import a DB2 database using the ODBC driver.
> >
> > It does work but it is a bit annoying to use!
> > I heard a rumour that the database documenter is only included with the
> > enterprise version but I'm not sure about this. I mention it in case anyone
> > buys Visio and finds the feature is not there.
>
> We bought Visio Enterprise specifically for ER diagrams of our postgreSQL databases. It imports them fine, but we had
abear of a time trying to cleary indicate primary key relationships. We could show which tables were keyed to each
other,but trying to show which attributes were the keys, and having that persist as we moved things around was never
donesuccessfully.

> It could well have been operator problems. But time matters, in the end it was much quicker to install and learn Dia.
Andit did everything we needed, on our Linux boxes to boot.

> End result? I hate to disparage anyones work so I will simply note that the large box/manual set makes an excellent
bookend.

> --
> Karl

     - Indira Gandhi