A problem with new pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alessio Bragadini
Subject A problem with new pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've tried the pg_dump bundled in the new 7.1.1 release. I wanted to
test its feature of dumping a 7.0.X database.

Let's say I have database A running 7.1.1, B running 7.0.2. Both servers
have the same database 'test', 'myview' is a view defined on both of
them. I want to dump data only, being a VIEW I expect zero rows.

From host A:

pg_dump -da -t myview test    OK
pg_dump -h B -a -t myview test    OK
pg_dump -h B -da -t myview test    An INSERT for each row

This last behaviour is obviously wrong because you cannot re-INSERT into
the VIEW (no rules are defined).

From host B:

pg_dump -da -t myview test    OK

Seems that there is a problem dumping 'INSERT-style' from a 7.0.X
database.

Running PostgreSQL 7.1.1 on alphaev67-dec-osf4.0f, compiled by cc -std

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925