Dual-CPU RAID database server: What Hardware ? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Paul BOYER
Subject Dual-CPU RAID database server: What Hardware ?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

As we are trying to determine the better hardware choice for a database
server aiming to serve from 1GB up to 15GB with less than 10 connections
from application servers, with rather intensive requests, operating
__24x7__ under Linux.

Here are a few questions. I will be very gratefull to all that can
provide answers, or direct me to related links.
Many thanks.

MB  : ASUS CUV4X-D Dual-CPU
-> Q: Is this board behaving well under SMP Linux ? Any experience
(positive or negative)

CPUs: 2x PIII
-> Q: What is the best speed/price ratio : bi-733, bi-866, bi-933 ?

RAM : 2x 256MB Kingston
-> Q: Does 512MB seems like appropriate ?

SCSI /RAID:
* Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S
* Mylex AcceleRAID 170
* Adaptec SCSI RAID 3200S
* Mylex AcceleRAID 352
-> Q1: Any known or expected compatibility issues with ASUS CUV4X-D
Dual-CPU under Linux?
-> Q2: What is the best choice for 1:stability, 2:price, 3:performance ?
-> Q3: Any experience for a database under Linux SMP with those cards ?

DISK :
* 4x 9GB IBM
-> Q: Any better recommendation ?

Paul Boyer

PS: I'll post a summary of responses when we get the configuration
tested.