Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date
Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> checkpoint record.  Clueless admins who resort to kill -9 as a routine
> admin tool *will* lose their databases.  Moreover, the init scripts
> that are running around now are dangerous weapons if used with 7.1.

Thanks for the headsup, Tom.  Time to nix killproc and do something
cleaner -- compatible, but cleaner.  I'll have to research what the
defaults are for later RH's -- but, as 6.1 is one of my target platforms
at this time, I have to fix that issue for sure.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio