Re: [GENERAL] Re: full text searching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: full text searching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(bcc'ed to -hackers)

Gunnar R|nning wrote:

> Does anybody know how Oracle has implemented their "context" search or
> whatever it is called nowadays ?

They're calling it Intermedia now ... http://www.oracle.com/intermedia/

I have yet to meet an Oracle customer who likes it.

I think there's a lot of agreement that this is an area where Postgres
could use some work.  I know Oleg Bartunov has done some interesting
work with Postgres and the search engine at the Russian portal site
"Rambler" ... http://www.rambler.ru/ .  Oleg, could you talk a bit about
what you guys did?

If there's interest in spinning up a separate project to sit outside the
database, a la Intermedia or Verity, we'd be happy to sponsor such a
thing on our GreatBridge.org project hosting site (CVS, bug tracking,
mail lists, etc.)

Regards,
Ned

Ned Lilly                     e: ned@greatbridge.com
Vice President                w: www.greatbridge.com
Evangelism / Hacker Relations        v: 757.233.5523
Great Bridge, LLC                    f: 757.233.5555