Re: Can you help a newbie? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Klawitter
Subject Re: Can you help a newbie?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jamie Bumsted wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am new to pgsql, I have inherited a database with no documentation, i.e.
> nobody knows the passwords for any of the database accounts.  Anybody have
> any ideas on how to change the passwords without first knowing the
> passwords?
> If this is a stupid question I apologize in advance.

There are different ways of password protecting a database. postgres may even
rely on the host based user authentification. The internal passwords, however,
are stored in $PGHOME/data/pg_pwd in plain text.

I thinks it's obvious enough not to make secret out of it :-)

With kind regards / Mit freundlichem Gruß
    Holger Klawitter
--
Holger Klawitter
holger@klawitter.de                             http://www.klawitter.de