Re: abstract data types? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: abstract data types?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Mr. Reid,

> To answer your question, it is a bit hard to say at the moment as the
> design  schema for our project has only just been started.  The draft
> versions of  the ISO standard that I have seen use an object oriented
> data model, so  to me it makes sense to try and keep the database schema
> as close as possible to this (minimise data impedance).
>
> Briefly, at its' simplest the schema will probably use a two tier approach.
<snip>

Let me preface this by saying that I know squat-all about building
geometric databases.   My background is in db's for accounting, billing,
scheduling, and fundraising.

Given that .., over the last 3 months, I have become a believer in C.J.
Date and Fabian Pascal, who point out quite a few ways that
object-oriented and relational approaches to data problems *cannot* be
made to reconcile.  See http://www.firstsql.com/dbdebunk for some
examples of their objections.

Of course, Date and Pascal reject Object Oriented approaches entirely,
something I'm not ready to do ... but I do see that trying to build a
database accessable to both a range of OODB tools and relationally
compliant is not achievable.
                -Josh Berkus

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete