Re: pg_log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joseph Shraibman
Subject Re: pg_log
Date
Re: pg_log  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> > Developers:
> > I've seen this question several times; wouldn't it be better to rename
> > pg_log to pg_tuplestatus?  Calling something ...log is asking for it
> > to be wiped.
>
> In 7.1 it'll have a numeric filename ($PGDATA/global/1269, actually)
> which should reduce the tendency for DBAs to assume there's nothing
> important in it.  I regard this as one of the major advantages of
> having switched to numeric filenames ;-)

What are the others?  Is the point of moving to numeric filenames to
discourage people mucking with the files?  With the current system for
example if a backend coredumps I know to look for it in the directory of
the database.  But how will I know what that is in the future?

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net