Re: Problems with starting Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alessio Bragadini
Subject Re: Problems with starting Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> A plain kill (SIGTERM) should remove the socket file on its way out.
> The only thing that wouldn't is kill -9 ... if you're doing it that
> way, don't.

The problem is an unexpected crash/reboot of the machine (which
shouldn't happen, but...) that leaves socket files in /tmp and requires
manual tweaking after the machine is up again. Maybe it's our
installation, but we need a more reliable pg_ctl

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
        -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925