Re: Table/Column Constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Table/Column Constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > It would be nice, however, if pg_dump produced the exact same sql as used to
> > create a table.  For instance, if you specify a column constraint, it comes
> > back as a column constraint, rather than a trigger, or a table constraint.
> > This would especially aid portability of the dumped SQL.
>
> Right, exactly my point above.  We discard too much information that
> needs to be retained somewhere...

I like this conversation as not a day goes by where I don't wish I could
edit the dump of a database rather than keeping structure entirely
seperate -- and actually do so in a useful manner.  That said, whats the
possibility of maintaining comments if the SQL dumps actually became
humanly editable?