Re: alternative DB locations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Hoffmann
Subject Re: alternative DB locations
Date
Re: alternative DB locations  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Bob Parkinson wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Jeff Hoffmann wrote:
>
> :-)
>
> > RTFM.  this is a pretty common problem.  the environment variable
>
> I did. I've got the FM in front of me, and it does not mention
> this. Cheers.

not to be pedantic, but just to make sure, i looked in the 7.0 docs and
it says it plain as day on the "alternate locations" section from the
admin guide, second paragraph "This
environment variable must have been defined before the backend was
started"  this is an incredibly common question for being spelled out
that directly in the documentation.  this statement should probably be
bold or italic or otherwise emphasized, since it is such an important
point and apparently very easily overlooked.  maybe tom lockhart & the
other document editors will look kindly on this suggestion to alleviate
some new user headaches in the future.

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com