Re: Postgresql limits - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Postgresql limits
Date
List pgsql-general
Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:

> When doing multiple insert, please consider the following: PostgreSQL
> uses fsync (I think) after every insert. This is extremely slow when
> inserting large amounts of data at once. On the other hand this helps
> you to protect the database if the systems crashes.

I would have thought fsync() would be slowest when inserting lots of
little pieces of data, not big ones. But I'm just guessing.

You can disable fsync() with the '-o -F' flag to postmaster. This speeds
everything up, but if your system crashes you may lose some data.

Regards,

Neil