Re: Proposal for new PL/Perl README - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gilles DAROLD
Subject Re: Proposal for new PL/Perl README
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Gilles DAROLD <gilles@darold.net> writes:
> > I also proposed to removed the POLLUTE option by applying the
> > following patch to the plperl.c file. It compile well on Perl 5.005_03
> > and Perl 5.6.0.
>
> ... and will fail entirely on older Perls, before 5.004-something where
> they changed the API.  The POLLUTE hack is at least backwards-compatible.
>
> What we really need to do is revise plperl and interfaces/perl5 to use
> Devel::PPPort, which masks the API change; but no one's got round to it.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

I think this is a waste of time, Perl older versions are not as well as
newer (up to
5.004 which have some leak of memory) and upgrading Perl will assume the
backwards
compatibility as I know, at least it's one of its goal...

Regards,

Gilles