Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
Re: Oracle and Postgresql  (Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe@bepress.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> I could totally get behind needing permission to see the plpgsql code.

:)

More seriously, this is the issue with code-encryption on an open
source platform: Where do you keep the key?  From my (admittedly
brief) research, it appears that Oracle bakes it into the server
binary, which isn't going to work for PG.  It sounds like a separate,
binary-only plug-in that takes the encrypted procedure, decrypts it,
and passes it on to PL/pgSQL for execution is the best bet, if this
is really a critical feature for someone.