Re: Is it even possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Loy
Subject Re: Is it even possible?
Date
List pgsql-general
Beautiful.

First I installed the framework's described in Kyng Chaos Readme/website for PROJ and GEOS, required by PostGIS.

Then, I installed postgresql using the official postgres 9.1.3 installer, but made the data directory
/usr/local/pgsql-9.1/data,instead of the default /Library/etc…., because Kyng Chaos's install expects the data to be
there.

That failed on db initialization, but gave me pgadminIII, which is important to me.

Then I ran Kyng Chaos' 9.1.2 installer, which worked flawlessly.

Then I re-ran the pg 9.1.3. It now detected an existing installation, but not data directory. Again, I pointed it to
/usr/local/pgsql-9.1/data,which it immediately recognized. This time, the installer ran to completion w/o error, but I
finishedit w/o running Stack builder.

Then I installed Kyng Chaos' PostGIS 1.5.3 installer, which worked flawlessly, and created a postgis database following
theinstructions in the README. Worked without a hitch!

Then I loaded up the data I care about…and now I am UP AND RUNNING!

Thanks, Bryan, et.al. Great help. I hope to be able to help others as you have helped me!

With sincere gratitude,

Sam

P.S. So long Winwoes! So long confused MS / \ and command line nav commands!

On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Bryan Lee Nuse wrote:

>> Is there anyone who has ever successfully gotten postgres/postGIS running on Mac Lion? Really? How?
>
> Hello Sam,
>
> I'm running Lion, and had the same trouble using the Enterprise Stack Builder to install PostGIS.  I finally got it
workingby using Kyng Chaos' installers for both PostgreSQL and PostGIS: